Rev. Craig Laughlin
Current Ministry RoleLead Pastor at Generations Community Church of the Nazarene
Years in Ministry25+ Years
Areas of PassionPreaching, Worship, Leadership
AvailabilityLong-term (6 months or more)
Why Mentoring?First, I just love pouring into the next generation. It is selfish to say but I just enjoy it and I learn from them as much as I teach. I was able to do this with NTS students for many years while pastoring in Raytown. I found it very rewarding. Second, I was well mentored in ministry by people like Dr. Keith Wright and others. They poured into me and radically improved my ministry. I pay that back by pouring it into the next generation. Third I reached the stage in life where I truly believe the saying. my fruit grows on other people's trees. I think I can maximize my Kingdom impact by helping to train the next generation of pastors.
1. A Theology of Love: The Dynamic of Wesleyanism - Mildred Bangs Wynkoop This book reoriented my thinking about God and made me a thoroughgoing Wesleyan.
2. Outward Sign and Inward Grace - Rob L. Staples. Having grown up in an environment that viewed worship through a revivalistic lens, this book and Dr. Staples lectures profoundly changed the way I think about worship. It opened my world to a rich and engaging worship experience.
3. Pastor: Revised Edition: The Theology and Practice of Ordained Ministry
William H. Willimon This book forced me to grapple with a lot of issues about myself as a pastor and how I approach ministry. Honestly, I still wrestle with issues raised in this book.
4. Divided by Faith: Evangelical Religion and the Problem of Race in America
Michael O. Emerson & Christian Smith Opened my eyes to injustice and systemic evil. It stole my innocence.
5. Communicating for a Change: Seven Keys to Irresistible Communication
by Andy Stanley and Lane Jones. This book greatly improved the quality of my communication in preaching. NTS gave me great theological and exegetical tools but this book helped me get meaning into the life of my people.