An Invitation to a Pre-General Assembly Prayer Retreat
Important: Rates for this retreat will increase slightly after March 31st.
June 19 - 20
Would you like to join with others for a 24-hour period of prayer and reflection just prior to the General Conventions & Assembly events in Indianapolis? Good news! Such an opportunity will be provided:
- When: Monday afternoon, June 19 – Tuesday afternoon, June 20, 2017
- Where: Benedict Inn Retreat & Conference Center, Indianapolis (just a 15 minute drive from the Convention Center) http://www.benedictinn.org
- What: An overnight retreat with shared meals, Scripture presentations based on Ephesians 4:1-16, community & private prayer, and rest
- Who: Developed and led by Deidre Brower-Latz (Nazarene Theological College-Manchester), Rhonda Carrim (Northwest Nazarene University), Terry Fach (Ambrose University), Doug Hardy (Nazarene Theological Seminary), Rebecca Laird (Point Loma Nazarene University), and Doug VanNest (Mount Vernon Nazarene University)
- Why: In response to Jesus’ invitation to us as his disciples to “Come away … and rest a while” (Mark 6:31)
Attending General Assembly has always been a high point for me. In 2009 I became aware of a pre-assembly retreat and my wife and I decided to attend. What I experienced was an intentional quieting time to prepare my heart for the inspiration and the work that was ahead. I also found great delight in the setting, the interaction with people from across the country and engaging in a time of guided prayer and heart formation. I’m pleased that another such event is being planned for 2017.
- Randall Craker, Spokane, WA (2009 participant)
The 2009 Retreat was a gift; It was a blessing; We were still enjoying the afterglow of the retreat: refreshing prayer, reflection, rich fellowship, relaxation, and a sense of physical-mental-spiritual wholeness as we made the transition into the busy activity of the conventions and assembly.
- Forrest and Jan Stone, Long Beach, CA (2009 participant)
This retreat offers an opportunity to slow down and focus on intentionally listening for and to the voice of the Holy Spirit. From times of table fellowship to silence to directed sessions to conversations with brothers and sisters on the journey, we are invited to draw deeply from the wells of grace offered through Scripture, prayer, story and fellowship.
- Rhonda Carrim, Nampa, ID (facilitator/participant)
I am grateful for the heart of Nazarenes who have set aside time for prayer and reflection prior to the 2017 General Assembly. The opportunity of this prayer retreat to enrich the fellowship and business of this global gathering holds great promise. Our greatest need and desire is to experience the manifest presence of God.
- David Busic, General Superintendent
Prayer is the central practice of the Christian faith and something we are called to engage in with intention and together as God’s people. I look forward to the 2017 pre-General Assembly Prayer Retreat as an opportunity to join with fellow-Nazarenes in placing ourselves before God in prayer—listening and petitioning—so that our hearts may be tuned to the Holy Spirit for the Conventions & Assembly to follow.
- Doug Hardy, Kansas City, MO (facilitator/participant)
The cost for this event ranges from $99 to $149 depending on room choice and if a reservation is made by March 31st. These prices cover food and lodging during the Retreat. Each participant is responsible for their own transportation to and from Indianapolis. Rates increase slightly after March 31st.
Would you like to make a contribution to a scholarship fund to help retreatants from outside the U.S. compensate for currency exchange loss?
You may make a contribution even if you are unable to attend the retreat. We appreciate your gift. To request assistance from the scholarship fund, email Doug Hardy (email@example.com) with information about how much you can pay and in what currency. Assistance may not be available for all requests, but we will do our best to help.