Here, we feature book recommendations from six NTS faculty members. The books are from their respective disciplines, and relate to pastoral ministry.
FROM DR. MARTY BUTLER | Dean for Administration and Student Services
- Carder, Kenneth L. and Laceye C. Warner. Grace to Lead: Practicing Leadership in the Wesleyan Tradition (General Board of Higher Education and Ministry, The United Methodist Church, 2011).
- Heath, Chip and Dan Heath. Switch: How to Change Things when Change is Hard (Broadway Books, 2010).
FROM DR. ANDY JOHNSON | Professor of New Testament
- González, Justo L. Luke (Belief: A Theological Commentary on the Bible Series) (Westminster John Knox Press, 2010).
- Gorman, Michael. Reading Paul (Cascade Books, 2008).
- McKnight, Scot. A Community Called Atonement (Abingdon Press, 2007).
FROM DR. STEVE MCCORMICK | Professor of Historical Theology and William M. Greathouse Chair of Wesleyan-Holiness Theology
- Abraham, William J., Jason E. Vickers, and Natalie B. Van Kirk. Canonical Theism: A Proposal for Theology and the Church (William B. Eerdmans, 2008).
- Ayres, Lewis. Augustine and the Trinity (Cambridge University Press, 2010).
- Flett, John G. The Witness of God: The Trinity, Missio Dei, Karl Barth, and the Nature of Christian Community (William B. Eerdmans, 2010).
- Goheen, Michael W. A Light to the Nations: The Missional Church and the Biblical Story (Baker Academic, 2011).
- Gorman, Michael J. Inhabiting the Cruciform God: Kenosis, Justification, and Theosis in Paul’s Narrative Soteriology (William B. Eerdmans, 2009).
- Hunsinger, George. The Eucharist and Ecumenism: Let us Keep the Feast (Cambridge University Press, 2008).
- Macchia, Frank D. Justified in the Spirit: Creation, Redemption, and the Triune God (William B. Eerdmans, 2010).
- Moltmann, Jürgen. Sun of Righteousness, Arise!: God’s Future for Humanity and the Earth (Fortress Press, 2010).
- Webb, Stephen H. On God and Dogs: A Christian Theology of Compassion for Animals (Oxford University Press, 1998).
- Wright, N. T. After you Believe: Why Christian Character Matters (Harper Collins, 2011).
FROM DR. HAROLD RASER | Professor of the History of Christianity
- Hughes, Richard T. Christian America and the Kingdom of God (University of Illinois Press, 2009).
- Cunningham, Floyd, Stan Ingersol, Harold E. Raser, and David P. Whitelaw. Our Watchword & Song: The Centennial History of the Church of the Nazarene (Beacon Hill Press, 2009).
FROM DR. BILL SELVIDGE | Associate Professor of Intercultural Studies and Director of Master of Arts in Intercultural Studies Program
- Moschella, Mary Clark. Ethnography as a Pastoral Practice: An Introduction (The Pilgrim Press, 2008).
FROM DR. DAVID WESLEY | Associate Professor of Intercultural Studies and Director of 365M:
- Goheen, Michael. A Light to the Nations: The Missional Church and the Biblical Story (Baker Academic, 2011).
- Wright, Christopher J. H. The Mission of God’s People: A Biblical Theology of the Church’s Mission (Zondervan, 2010).