Monday
Oct222012

From our Students

“One of the things I’ve thought about in terms of what NTS has been for me is that it has been a formative and re-directing time in my life in so many significant ways.  I think about the influence of my professors in my life, and specifically the radical way in my classes where they consistently reminded me that God is worthy of our trust; that in our ministries, it is God who is to be our orientation, and it is God who gives direction to our lives.  And also in the midst of these classes, they have instilled in me the importance of having confidence in the abilities that God has graciously given to me.  This has been helpful to me in moments of doubt and  question.  And then finally, NTS instilled in me a good holy fear – that my  confidence in God and my confidence in me – these two things need to be in the right order, otherwise my ministry will not be fruitful.”

Rev. Curtis Lillie (‘12)

Lead Pastor l Discovery Church of the Nazarene l Livermore, CA

“I recently began a new ministry, re-starting the Faith church in Lawrence, KS, working bi-vocationally.  And I have to say that Seminary has made me a different person. In looking back over the past 3.5 years, I wouldn’t be able to do what I am doing now without the education and formation I received here at NTS.  I have undergone a lot of growth while here—not just educationally, but also as a Christian, as a husband and in the process, a dad.  Seminary has been the center of God’s work and formation in my life these last 3.5 years.  Thank you to those who support Seminary; please continue to do that—this place is an important part of our tradition in the Church of the Nazarene.”

Rev. Keith Davenport (‘12)

Lead Pastor l Lawrence Faith Church of the Nazarene l  Lawrence, KS

“I started at NTS in the fall of 2008.  In February of 2009, my husband and I took our first church assignment in Kingston, MO.  At first we thought this was a great idea, but soon after, we began to question the decision because it got really hard.  However, it wasn’t long until we realized what a blessing it was to be in ministry and seminary at the same time.  During my time at Seminary while we were pastoring, we went through a very difficult time of church conflict. And it was during that time that I found my   professors who were constantly academically challenging me, my world views and everything else–I found them also to be a very generous and very kind listening ear.  They were very supportive, normalizing the situation for me while encouraging me to continue my pursuit.  Several professors walked with me in that journey and continued to believe with me in the hope of resurrection in the midst of what seemed like a place of death and decay.  

I also want to offer my thanks to the Seminary for the very generous scholarship I was given.  It is because of that scholarship that I am graduating without any educational debt.  My husband and I hope to serve overseas at some point, and because of the scholarship, this is one thing that we may be blessed to do in the future.  I can’t  express enough thanks for this generous gift.”   

Rev. Stephanie Lobdell (‘12)

Co-Pastor l Kingston First Church of the Nazarene l Kingston MO

Reader Comments

There are no comments for this journal entry. To create a new comment, use the form below.

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
Post:

Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong>