Here, we feature book recommendations from six NTS professors. The books are from their disciplines, and relate to pastoral ministry.
From Dr. Steve McCormick (NTS Professor of Historical Theology and William M. Greathouse Chair of Wesleyan-Holiness Theology):
- A Light to the Nations: The Missional Church and the Biblical Story by Michael W. Goheen (Baker Academic, 2011).
- After you Believe: Why Christian Character Matters by N.T. Wright (Harper Collins, 2011).
- Augustine and the Trinity by Lewis Ayres (Cambridge University Press, 2010).
- Canonical Theism: A Proposal for Theology and the Church edited by William J. Abraham, Jason E. Vickers, and Natalie B. Van Kirk (William B. Eerdmans, 2008).
- Inhabiting the Cruciform God: Kenosis, Justification, and Theosis in Paul’s Narrative Soteriology by Michael J. Gorman (William B. Eerdmans, 2009).
- Justified in the Spirit: Creation, Redemption, and the Triune God by Frank D. Macchia (William B. Eerdmans, 2010).
- On God and Dogs: A Christian Theology of Compassion for Animals by Stephen H. Webb (Oxford University Press, 1998).
- Sun of Righteousness, Arise!: God’s Future for Humanity and the Earth by Jürgen Moltmann (Fortress Press, 2010).
- The Eucharist and Ecumenism: Let us Keep the Feast by George Hunsinger (Cambridge University Press, 2008).
- The Witness of God: The Trinity, Missio Dei, Karl Barth, and the Nature of Christian Community by John G. Flett (William B. Eerdmans, 2010).
From Dr. Marty Butler (NTS Dean for Administration and Student Services):
- Grace to Lead: Practicing Leadership in the Wesleyan Tradition by Kenneth L. Carder and Laceye C. Warner (General Board of Higher Education and Ministry, The United Methodist Church, 2011).
- Switch: How to Change Things when Change is Hard by Chip Heath and Dan Heath (Broadway Books, 2010).
From Dr. Andy Johnson (NTS Professor of New Testament):
- A Community Called Atonement by Scot McKnight (Abingdon Press, 2007).
- Luke (Belief: A Theological Commentary on the Bible series) by Justo L. González (Westminster John Knox Press, 2010).
- Reading Paul by Michael J. Gorman (Cascade Books, 2008).
From Dr. David Wesley (NTS Associate Professor of Intercultural Studies and Director of 365M):
- A Light to the Nations: The Missional Church and the Biblical Story by Michael Goheen (Baker Academic, 2011).
- The Mission of God’s People: A Biblical Theology of the Church’s Mission by Christopher J. H. Wright (Zondervan, 2010).
From Dr. Bill Selvidge (NTS Associate Professor of Intercultural Studies and Director of Master of Arts in Intercultural Studies Program):
- Ethnography as a Pastoral Practice: An Introduction by Mary Clark Moschella (The Pilgrim Press, 2008).
From Dr. Harold Raser (NTS Professor of the History of Christianity):
- Christian America and the Kingdom of God by Richard T. Hughes (University of Illinois Press, 2009).
- Our Watchword & Song: The Centennial History of the Church of the Nazarene by Floyd Cunningham, Stan Ingersol, Harold E. Raser, and David P. Whitelaw (Beacon Hill Press, 2009).